Leather Cord & Needle Kit
This product is currently sold out.
When knitting top-down, seamless sweaters, there comes a point when you need to take your sleeve stitches off onto a holder. Safety-pin type stitch holders don’t work for this. Scrap yarn works, but tends to slip up into the stitches, making the job of getting each stitch back onto a needle laborious. You can leave them on a spare circular needle or cord – but it’s challenging to have needles and cord hanging everywhere. Cocoknits' founder, Julie Weisenberger, discovered that a leather cord had the flexibility of yarn, but was firm enough to keep the stitches from disappearing up into themselves. The interior-threaded needle means you can knit onto and off of the cord – like a leather circular needle. The needles screw onto, and off of, the leather cord.
- Needles made of nickel plated steel
- Long Cord holds sts of sweater body – 59"/150 cm
- Short Cords holds sts of sleeves – 29.5"/75 cm
- Two interior-threaded needles
- Three lengths of leather cord
- one long (59"/150 cm)
- two short (29.5"/75 cm)
HOW TO USE
- Use the Stitch Holder Kit in lieu of scrap yarn whenever you need to hold live stitches. The threaded needles allow you to knit off of your leather cord.
- Keep the contents of your kit in the reusable kraft drawer, lined with 100% wool felt.
- Just like hands, leather can get dry & needs moisturizing. We suggest treating the cord with THREAD MAGIC or another thread conditioner to keep your cords smooth and limber.
- Screw the needle on only until it is attached to the cord. If you continue to over-screw, you risk breaking the leather inside the needle.
- Snipping the end of your leather cord at an angle will facilitate attaching the needle.
- Leather has a grain, so be sure to "go with the grain" when sliding stitches on & off the cord.